nav

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Texas is Weird

That's right. I said it. Texas is weird. But I love it. I love this weirdness. If you ever happen to live in Texas, you will see the weirdness during a magical time called Homecoming. But I will explain that soon enough. 
Last week was the beloved Homecoming week! The theme of our dance was 50's, so the spirit days were decades counting down to the 50's. So fun.


80's workout day! But I couldn't find anything to wear... Rebecca had enough spirit for the both of us. 


We have a... strange friendship


70's disco day AKA OUR FAVORITE DAY EVER


We're mad for the 70s. 


Check out those genuine platform shoes. I'm just not entirely sure where my family got these but I found them in my house nontheless. 


60's hippie day. Easiest day for me to dress for because most of my clothes qualify as hippie. 
 I was sick for 50's day which is super sad because I had an amazing outfit planned. 

So here's what's weird about Texas....
MUMS. 



Those giant sparkly things dangling from our necks? Those are mums. 


Traditionally, you exchange mum and garter with your date. Garters are like mini mums that guys wear on their arms. I was asked to homecoming but the plans fell through so I ended up flying solo. Most senior girls get mums even if they don't have dates. Becuase you just have to have a mum if you go to high school in Texas. 


To people who are from other states- I know this is the weirdest thing ever. You probably won't understand it, or just think it's flat out stupid. But us true Texans love them! 


They really don't have a purpose. They're just because. 


1 comment: